Sunday, February 24, 2013

A lot of changes have happened since my last post, but what hasn't changed is my love for sailing, my love for the independence that sailing affords me and most of all, my love for the sea. I purchased a new boat, a larger boat, but still a single handed manageable boat.  My boat is still my home, my source of comfort, my sanctuary.  My new boat's name is Aeolus.  She is a 34 foot custom built islander/yachtcraft.  The builder did an excellent job, Aeolus is comfortable, easy to sail and beautiful.

During the past few years I've moved from port to port around the Puget Sound area and the San Juan's. My last home port was Port Angeles, which is a nice little marina with excellent management.  But because of access to the airport, I work a lot on the road, I moved to Shilshoe Bay Marina in Ballard.  So far I like living there and there is a thriving sailing community.  I do have the need to keep water passing under my hull so I'm not sure how long I will be there.

I've been working on Aeolus in order to make myself self sufficient.  My goal now is to retire in 13-14 months and finally launch on my journey.  My near term goals is to participate in the Coho Ho Ho and sail south this  summer.  I'm not sure if I will be able to take the month off that I need to make the journey, but I'm working on it; routinely, the summer months are my busiest times.  I really want to install a self-steering windvane and upgrade my radar/chartplotter before the trip, but it is not a show stopper.  I would love to single hand Aeolus and make the journey myself but the reality is I will have to take on another crew member.  This is not only the practical thing to do, but the safe thing to do.  It will be the first time that myself and Aeolus, as a team, will be in the great big blue Pacific.

I will try and update this blog as the month of August approaches.

Good sailing, fun sailing!
Harry

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home